Monday, January 21, 2008

THAT I MIGHT KNOW HIM

BACK TO HOME PAGE

That I Might Know Him (read)

Phil 3:10-11
10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
(from New International Version)

We are going to break this down into five prayers.

To know Christ…

To know the power of his resurrection…

To know the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings…

To become like him in his death…

To attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Think of someone close to you—a friend or spouse, perhaps a parent.
How well do you know them?
Do they let you get close, or do they hold you at arm’s length?
For years, my wife would tell me, “I don’t feel like I really know you.” Why do you think she may have felt that way?

How well do you know Jesus?
Jesus himself prayed that we might know him.
John 17:3
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
(from New International Version)

According to this verse, how important is it to know God?

We need to ask ourselves: “Do I really know Christ?” Matt 7:21-23

21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'
(from New International Version)

The problem is too many Christians are doing the right things—going to church; giving money; reading their Bible—but if Jesus came back today they wouldn’t be ready. They don’t really know Christ.

Let’s use the analogy of our spouse or best friend that you thought of earlier. What do you know about their desires; their likes and dislikes; their passion?
What makes them angry? What makes them happy?

If I really know God, what kind of things will I know about him? What kind of things will I have in common with him?

Jesus said the sheep know the shepherd’s voice:
John 10:3-4
3 The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.
(from New International Version)


Do I know the voice of Jesus? Can I hear his voice in the night? When wild animals are at the edge of the camp, does his voice calm my spirit?

How do you know that you really know Christ?
(Discussion)

If I know him, I will
--Obey
--Seek
--Share


Obedience—

John 14:21
21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."
(from New International Version)

This scripture is talking about obeying. Aren’t we under grace? Didn’t the law end with Christ?
(Discussion)

Too often our “trials” are a result of disobeying the revealed Word of God.
Can you think of an example?
--Unequally yoked
--Materialism, resulting in improper spending habits
--Other

Seeking after God

As children of God, we will seek him. Lin used the example of our dog when she spoke to the ladies a few months ago. Our dog likes to be in the same room as we are. (describe)

Do I enjoy being in the same room as God? Do I enjoy worship? Do I enjoy talking about the things of God?

Is there another voice in my life? What is it saying?
When I hear the voice of the enemy, do I flee?

Do I have a heart that is looking toward the cross?

Col 3:1-4
3:1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
(from New International Version)

Comments about seeking?

Share the Love of Jesus

Sharing is a natural outgrowth of obedience and seeking.

We share what inspires us. Have you ever met someone obsessed with sports? Hunting? Money?
Sex? It’s all they can talk about.

We need to ask ourselves, “What do I talk about? What gets me excited?”

How do I get excited if I’m not?

The Power of His Resurrection

How much power is there for us?
Eph 3:20
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,
(from New International Version)

How do I plug into the power?

Let’s look at some ways we are impacted by the power—
Phil 3:9-10
not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ-the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.
(from New International Version)

We are made righteous before God through the finished the work of Christ. We have no righteousness of our own.

Rom 8:11
And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
(from New International Version)

Our future resurrection from the grave is made possible because of the power of his resurrection.

Heb 4:14--

14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet was without sin. 16 Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
(from New International Version)

Because of the resurrection power, we can approach the throne of God with confidence.

John 15:6-8
If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. 8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
(from New International Version)

(Pass out power of attorney form)

Heb 10:14
because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
(from New International Version)

Because of the resurrection power, there is nothing we can do to add to the finished work of the cross. We are perfect now, covered by the blood.

The Fellowship of Sharing in His Suffering

What does this mean?

The logical question becomes, when does Jesus suffer, and how do we share in it?

Jesus suffers when he sees unbelief. Remember what he said when he looked out over Jerusalem? How do we share in that?

Why did Jesus weep over Lazarus?
(discuss) How do we share in that?

When else does Jesus suffer?

What makes God grieve?
--Immorality
--Abortion
--Violence
--Other?

Summary—how do we share in his suffering?

Scriptures about suffering:
(discuss each)


Phil 1:29
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him,
(from New International Version)

1 Peter 1:6-
In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that your faith-of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire-may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.
(from New International Version)

1 Peter 2:19-21
But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
(from New International Version)

1 Peter 4:12-18

Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you. 15 If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler. 16 However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name. 17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
(from New International Version)

1 Peter 4:1
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.
(from New International Version)

No comments: